Sunday, November 25, 2018

REVIEW: The Way the World Ends

The Way the World Ends
Author: Jess Walter

The Way the World Ends is a short story/novella included in the Warmer Collection from Amazon/Audible. This is the second Amazon Originals Collection I have come across. The first -- The Dark Corners Collection -- included 7 horror tales with a lot of commentary on the modern world swirled into the mix. The Warmer Collection is along the same lines with climate change (cli-fi) being the basic theme. I'm always up for creative storytelling....so jumped on this second collection.

I have to say I expected something completely different from this piece. But I really shouldn't have. What starts out as a tale of people enduring a snow storm in March in Mississippi quickly becomes musings on the changing concerns facing gays coming out, and how to navigate in a world that is partially warming towards acceptance while still holding on to some bitterly cold winds, or forming new obstacles for those seeking to just openly be themselves. When is it ok to jump in to a pride event? Is there such a thing as being too "new'' at being gay? As the weird weather rages outside and forces the characters to deal with it, there are musings about inner changes. Interesting and creative. But.....a bit all over the place. I think with this story that works though. The mix of humor (the bits about middle aged people having sex made me chuckle) and serious, along with the characters' confusion about navigating a changing world  and information on environmental climate change required that confusion.

All in all, an enjoyable story. I wonder if any of the stories in this collection will actually be about climate change for the planet? lol Hopefully one will be more disaster oriented and less pure introspective. Sometimes I just want a good action-filled story.....not another reflection on current issues. I've been current issued to death lately.....I wanted some good, old-fashioned disaster action. But.....despite my slight disappointment....I enjoyed this story for what it offered. Everyone faces confusion in learning what the world is about, and their place in it. Careers change. People change. Momentous moments in life occur. Choices have to be made. Those really are climate change moments on a more personal level. 

The sun'll come out tomorrow....bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow there'll be sun...

Yeah....when I get introspective, I pop out the show tunes. :)

On to the next story in this collection! There are 7. Very curious about the rest.....climate change....or Climate Change? Can't wait to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment