Friday, November 30, 2018

REVIEW: The Sorrows

The Sorrows
Author: Jonathan Janz

This story is seriously messed up.

I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean that in a creeptastic horror story way.

Totally.  Messed. Up.

After reading a couple of Jonathan Janz's books, I realize this is his normal MO. Awesome!

With a deadline to produce a music score for a horror movie quickly approaching, Composers Eddie and Ben decide to spend some time at an island estate off the coast of California. Castle Blackwood is nicknamed The Sorrows because of all the twisted, horrible things that have happened there. In 1925, there were several murders on the island. A group that stayed there in the 1970s to research the murders met a similar fate. Now the two composers and two female companions head to The Sorrows hoping to revive their musical muse.

Not a good idea. Very, very bad idea.

Hallucinations. Dark Thoughts. Violence. Ancient Evil.

The Sorrows has plans for all of them.

I'm not going to reveal much about the plot because it needs to catch readers by surprise. There were some parts I really liked....others that felt a bit B-movie....and some were just completely out there. But, all in all, as I finished up this story I felt like it all worked.

What I will say is this --- prepare to dislike every character in this story. They are all pretty reprehensible people for one reason or another. And travelling to a cursed/evil island with a group of folks like that is never, ever a good idea for those involved. Luckily, a reader does not have to like the characters in a horror story to enjoy the creepiness. To be completely honest, I found myself rooting for the ancient evil. Go evil! Eat the awful people! :)

The Sorrows is actually a re-release. First published in 2012, The Sorrows was Janz's first book. There is a sequel, Castle of Sorrows. Definitely adding this second book to my TBR list!

**I voluntarily read an advanced readers copy of this book from Flame Tree Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment