Wednesday, November 7, 2018

REVIEW: Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects
Author: Gillian Flynn

A serial killer has murdered two young girls in a Missouri town. Camille Preaker, a reporter in Chicago, returns to her hometown to cover the case. She is willing to brave her incredibly dysfunctional family in order to prove her talent as a hard news reporter.

This story is so....dark, demented and dysfunctional. The 3 D's. But, somehow completely engrossing at the same time. The mother is a neurotic hypochondriac. The step-father is just.....weak. And the 13-year old half sister is completely off the rails. The main character indulges in obsessive self-harm and puts herself in a situation where her mental health is not just going to take a hit but a nuke level explosion. And that collection of hot mess doesn't even include the serial killer targeting young girls.

I have a rule that I always read the book before watching a film or television adaptation. HBO turned this story into a miniseries, so I checked the audio book out of my local library. I'm glad I listened to the story before watching.....I'm prepared for what I'm about to see. And this is the first time I have ever said this....but I hope that HBO made some minor changes to the plot (such as maybe making the out of control step-sister just a bit older than 13). As a mom, I was a bit traumatized by the actions of this girl and her friends. Yikes! And I was completely shocked that Camille would willingly return and stay with her family, given the horrible childhood she had and the mental issues it caused her. Double Yikes! And the ending.....OMG....totally F'd up, crazy, perfect, twisted ending. So perfect.

This story is not for the faint of heart. It is gritty and raw....with some traumatizing events. I'm curious to see how closely the HBO version follows the book. I finished this book a few days ago and had to process my thoughts on it for awhile before I could be ready to watch it on HBO. I think I'm ready now. Deep breath....calming thoughts.....yeah, I'm ready. I think.

Great book! When a story can make me feel honest emotions -- even if they are negative ones -- it means it's a well-written story. Did I enjoy the tale of this completely F'd up family? Yes. Would I want to meet anyone like them? Oh, no way. Not only no.....hell no.

No comments:

Post a Comment