Thursday, May 28, 2020

REVIEW: I Could Chew On This

I Could Chew on This (And Other Poems By Dogs)
Author: Francesco Marciuliano

I'm very glad my dogs can't talk or write poetry....as I'm sure they would complain. About the cats. About the food. About me going to work. About who gets to sleep on the bed. About everything. All day. :) Right now as I'm typing this review....the chihuahua is in my office laying on the couch staring at me. She wants to be sitting behind me in my chair, but I said no. She figures the pitiful look will make me change my mind. Our big dog is laying behind me on her bed, wagging her tail -- thump, thump, thump -- because she knows that good girls get a dog biscuit after I post a review to my blog. And the pomchi  is under my desk...because she knows the closest dog gets their biscuit first. Needless to say, I read this book with some knowledge of the joys (and despairs) of being a dog owner....or being owned by dogs.

Francesco Marciuliano has written several books about cats -- I Could Pee on This and I Knead My Mummy and others. So of course, the dogs had to have their chance at a poetry collection as well. These books are small -- 4x6 -- but don't let the tiny tome fool you. Each book packs a huge dose of cuteness! The books are attractive....hardback with full color dustjacket. Each poem inside has an accompanying photo. The poems are simple and cute. Don't expect formal poetry...these are just for FUN. Dogs don't know from iambic pentameter or rhyming. They lick their own nether regions -- don't expect sonnets. :) Just have fun!

My favorite from this book:

Food

Food
Food food food
Food food food food
Food food
Food

Who says a dog
Can't write a love sonnet?

I keep these books on my Smile Shelf -- the shelf that holds books that make me smile. My copies of these books live with my favorite children's books, my cartoon collections, books by comedians.....my go-to shelf when I've had a particularly trying day. Sometimes I just need a silly verse about dogs loving to bark and chew on things. :)

Lovely book! Fun and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment