Sunday, May 17, 2020

REVIEW: One Taste Too Many

One Taste Too Many
Author: Debra Goldstein

I enjoy cozy mysteries. Sometimes I just need something cute and entertaining with just an edge of dangerous...cozies fit that need perfectly! A cute dog/cat/kitschy theme paired with murder and amateur sleuthing! This series caught my eye because of the lovely Siamese cat on the cover. I have a very soft spot in my heart for Siamese cats....so I had to try this series!  Cozy mystery fun....a Siamese cat....and a new-to-me author! Happiness all around!

In this first book in the Sarah Blair series, Sarah is newly divorced. She has moved a bit down the ladder from the lavish lifestyle she enjoyed with her husband Bill to a studio apartment and a job as a receptionist in a lawyer's office. But she still has her beloved cat, RahRah -- the one thing her ex-husband let her take when their marriage died. Just as she is coming to grips with her new life, her ex-husband drops dead...and her sister is a prime suspect. Was Bill's death murder-by-rhubarb-crisp?? Or something more sinister? When it looks like her sister might go to jail and her ex's bimbo might be able to legally take RahRah from her, Sarah jumps into sleuthing. Can she help Emily...and manage to somehow keep RahRah??

I listened to the audio book version of this story. I will admit that it took me awhile to get used to the narrator's voice. Emily Beresford gives a great performance, but I took awhile to warm up to her slightly nasal tone. Once the story got going, I got used to Beresford's voice....and was sucked into the plot. This book was a perfect companion for my commutes to work and while working around the house. :) Very enjoyable story! I like the setting and the characters. The mystery is engaging with plenty of sleuthing and twists. I expected part of the ending -- but not all of it. All in all, a very entertaining and fun listening experience! I already have the audio of book 2, Two Bites Too Many, checked out on Hoopla.....and a review copy of the newest book (due out in August) on my review-TBR pile! I will definitely be reading all of this series!


No comments:

Post a Comment