Thursday, November 12, 2020

REVIEW: Broomsticks and Burials

 Broomsticks and Burials
Author: Lily Webb


Lately I seem to be on a cozy and classic mystery kick....a bit of murder and amateur sleuthing, spiced up with a smidge of humor and a dash of paranormal or cute side theme --- Perfect. With all the things going on as 2020 closes, I need my reading time to be my Zen moments of the day. 

The Magic & Mystery series by Lily Webb has been on my TBR for some time. My To-Read list is vast, and things get lost in the jumble sometimes. As I was looking for my next audio book to start the other day, the bright purple cover of book one of this series jumped right out at me. READ ME! So, I did! And I'm glad -- this book was fun and entertaining! 

The basics: Zoe Clarke's life has hit a snag and she finds herself back on her grandmother's farm in NC searching for a job. Then a phone call out of nowhere lands her a reporting job in Moon Grove, NC. She packs up her cat Luna and her few belongings and heads to her new job.....and changes her life forever! 

I live in NC, so I love the setting for this mystery series. Zoe is an interesting and capable main character. She goes with the flow, taking magic, supernatural creatures of all sorts and a talking cat pretty much in stride. I'm not sure I would be quite so understanding if my concepts of the world changed that much over night. Although I would LOVE to be able to talk to my cats! Luna is snarky and fun. Flora, too -- just don't ask about her wings! In fact, I liked all the characters! 

I listened to the audiobook format of this book (Lily Webb Audio). The Audio is about 6 hours long -- a nice listening length. Erin Parker narrates. Parker does a great job of bringing the characters to life. Her voice is pleasant and she reads at a nice pace. All in all, an enjoyable listening experience. 

Right now, this sort of book is just what I need. Nothing heavy. Fun characters, entertaining plot, a bit of magic thrown in. Loved it! Can't wait to find out what happens next in Moon Grove! 

No comments:

Post a Comment