Friday, November 6, 2020

REVIEW: Ingots of Gold

 Ingots of Gold
Author: Agatha Christie


Ingots of Gold is the third Miss Marple short story written by Agatha Christie. The story continues the tales shared among six friends -- The Tuesday Night Club. Miss Marple, her nephew Raymond and four others. Each Tuesday night a member of the group shares a story about a unsolved or mysterious crime and the others try to figure out the truth. The third tale, told by Miss Marple's nephew, involves gold bullion that disappeared off a wrecked ship. 

Ingots of Gold was first published in The Royal Magazine in the UK in February 1928. US publication followed later that same year in Detective Magazine. The US title for the story was The Solving Six and the Golden Grave. The story is short -- only 14 pages in the hardback copy I'm reading (Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories - Putnam 1985). The short length of these stories means there is no detailed characterization or place development....these are mystery shorts, not full-blown stories. The stage is set -- the tale is told -- the characters voice their opinions....and then Miss Marple offers her wisdom, usually backed up by another member of the group who has knowledge of the case. I firmly believe these short tales (she wrote more of the same sort of formula detective magazine stories to introduce Hercule Poirot) were an ingenious marketing idea (which authors still use today). Christie wrote short tales to introduce readers to her writing and her characters....get the buzz going....then publish longer novels featuring those characters. Bestsellers. Ca-ching. So.....when reading these initial short stories readers should not expect the long drawn out detailed plots from Christie's novels. No matter how skilled the author, you can't condense intricate plots down to 14-20 pages. These tales were printed in magazines that most likely limited space or word count -- she filled her space.....and introduced the detective loving public to her now classic characters. Genius!  

I do have to admit to an occasional bad attitude. Not about these stories....but about reviewers and readers who complain that these stories have simple, fast plots and no detailed development like Christie used in her novels. Hello! (bad attitude sarcastic tone).....the stories are 20 pages or less. These are "one minute mystery'' style stories published in detective magazines.....a quick showcase meant to introduce characters and help sell later novels. It is a different sort of writing than creating plot, place, character, and action for an entire novel. I get protective of my favorite author! :) But....I do also recognize that every reader is entitled to their own opinion, despite my bad attitude and snarkiness. :) I will continue loving these stories for what they are and researching little nuances from each one.....and others can like or dislike them as they choose. I will vent my bad attitude to my Chihuahua, who politely listens for the price of a dog treat.  

Now...back to my review. As these stories are nearly 100 years old, I find myself having to look up some terms, sayings, and history at times. In this story, Christie mentions a holiday I was unfamiliar with: Whitsuntide. I happily googled it....  I grew up Catholic, but I had no idea that Pentecost was also called Whitsun, and the week after it was called Whitsuntide in the UK and Ireland. I learned through further reading that the term really isn't used anymore and has morphed into the spring bank holiday in the UK. I always learn something interesting when reading old stories! 

Usually I listen to these stories in audio format while also reading along in the book. I just enjoy them better that way...a real English accent, proper pronunciation of any names, places or French words, etc. But this time I just read the text in my old copy of Miss Marple: The Complete Short Stories. The old audio book recording I found seems to be missing a disc, and this story and the next one were left out. 

On to the next story -- The Bloodstained Pavement! 

No comments:

Post a Comment