Sunday, March 24, 2024

REVIEW: A Smoking Bun

 A Smoking Bun
Author: Ellie Alexander


When a cozy series has 19 books in it, and I haven't read any of them yet, I have to weigh things in my mind about whether I want to jump in and start reading or not. 19+ books is a big commitment. So, I decided to jump out of my comfort zone and read book #18 before deciding to commit to the entire Bakeshop Mystery series or not. 

And.....I now have 18 more books to read. :) A Smoking Bun was an entertaining and fun cozy mystery!

It's a bit rough jumping in at Book 18, but I soon had the setting, characters and basic premise figured out. So, this book can definitely be read as a standalone by anyone who hasn't read this entire series. I liked the background premise - the bakeshop. Culinary cozies are some of my favorites! I enjoyed the characters and the basic plot. Jules is a great MC. She's smart, a great businesswoman and an excellent amateur sleuth. 

The basics: It's time for the annual Downhill Dummy celebration at a local ski resort. One by one, those participating strap dummies to skis and send them hurtling down a ski jump to see which one gets the best air and most spectacular crash landings. When one of the dummies goes off course and lands on top a local guide, Jules finds herself smack dab in the middle of a murder investigation. 

I'm definitely backtracking to start this series at Book 1. :) 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**


No comments:

Post a Comment