Wednesday, March 27, 2024

REVIEW: The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

 The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
Author: Robert Louis Stevenson


I read this novella as part of an ongoing personal reading challenge to re-visit classic literature. I'm endeavoring to find out if I enjoy these stories more when reading by choice rather than necessity. Most classics I read during high school and college were books I would not have picked had I a choice at the time. And I don't remember really enjoying most of them. So, I'm going back and picking out classic stories that interest me.....and reading them again. 

Dracula was fantastic. Frankenstein, although it got a bit too melodramatic in places, was very enjoyable and thought provoking. So next up -- The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. This is another famous classic that has been done to death in movies, television, adaptations. Thankfully this story has not been butchered quite as badly as Frankenstein where the moves bear little resemblance to the actual story. And, it hasn't 'been sexualized like Dracula. 

I'm going to be honest from the start with this one. I know I must have read this book before at some point. As a literature major, I read a lot of books and I don't see how this one would not have been part of the required reading. But, I have no memory of the actual book. I know the story line from film or television. Most likely in college I read this one quickly, did the assignments or discussion that was required of me, and moved on. Perfect book to re-visit! 

Background: Robert Louis Stevenson wrote this novella in 1886. The story is told from the point of view of Jekyll's friend and lawyer, Mr John Gabriel Utterson,who investigates his friend's strange association with an evil and dangerous character, Mr. Edward Hyde. The tale has been adapted for the stage, film, radio, television, books, graphic novels/comics, video games.....   It's been done to death. If you add in re-tellings, adaptations, sequels, spoofs/parodies, music, or inclusion of the character in other stories, this book has been mangled in every way possible just like Dracula, Frankenstein and many other classic horror and sci-fi stories. I'm not surprised, as the basic premise of the story almost begs to be made into a horror production. Mild mannered doctor.....evil, uncontrollable madman. The basic plot is ingrained in popular culture. For good reason - it's true to life. How many times have we heard tales of serial killers whose neighbors say "He was a quiet person. Very nice. Likeable. I'm shocked....." A seemingly normal, friendly person by day......who was burying dead bodies in his crawlspace at night.  

I like to listen to an audio book while reading a print copy or ebook when it comes to classics. I find I enjoy the story more. I also only read these stories when I have time to fully pay attention. I don't listen while doing household chores, driving, etc like I do with other books. I sit down, and just concentrate on the book. And, I did the same with The Strange Case of Doctor Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

This book is readily available online for free through Project Gutenburg and other resources. I found an ebook version from 1986 online, and the Audible exclusive audio version narrated by Richard Armitage was already in my library. The audio is just a bit over 3 hours long.

I enjoyed this story. Even though I knew the basic plot, it was very engaging. Doctor Jekyll's friend was very concerned for his well being, and it was interesting to see the truth come out little by little. The last two chapters of the book had me riveted. One is a testimony of another colleague  of Jekyll's giving an account of what he witnessed of Jekyll and Hyde. And the last is a long narrative by Jekyll explaining his own downfall. It's a very interesting story about good and evil, human nature, and how moral people can be tempted into doing bad things. 

All in all, a very thought provoking book and an enjoyable story. I'm glad I read it! The story is so much more than some of the films or television adaptations show. It's not just about a man devolving into a monster. It's about human nature, temptation, addiction and how basically good people can become a slave to their own vices. It's difficult to escape from the wrong path once a person has given in to vice or their more base nature - drugs, criminal behavior, violence, sexual outlets, etc. Once Jekyll let Hyde out....he had a rough time being able to put him back. Scary concept, but so true. While the physical changes are fanciful, the mental changes portrayed in this book are so realistic. Bad choices can morph a person into someone that friends, family and associates don't even recognize anymore.

So far I'm 3 for 3. I have liked all 3 of the classics I have revisited so far. But, I must admit, I like horror and monster tales so it's no surprise I enjoyed Dracula, Frankenstein and Jekyll/Hyde. 

I will step away from classic horror for my next read. I'm going to read The Three Body Problem by Cixin Liu. Sci-fi! Woot! Not a typical classic, and not a book I read before. But I'm giving "classic" a wide definition to include books I read as part of required academic reading or stories that appear on lists of the "best" classic novels, and also award winning books put forth as great examples of particular genres. Winning the Hugo Award works for me. Plus, I have a rule that I have to read the book(s) before I can watch an adaptation based on the story. I can't watch the new Netflix series before I read the book....so reading! I plan to read more award winning and classic hard sci-fi novels during my journey through literature. Starting with Cixin Liu!

 

 



No comments:

Post a Comment