Sunday, March 24, 2024

REVIEW: The Tainted Cup

 The Tainted Cup
Author: Robert Jackson Bennett


Oh my! This book totally caught me by surprise! I absolutely love it when an author combines genres and weaves a story that sends me into joyful binge reading. This story is so different - loved it! 

Bennett mixes dystopian fantasy and mystery together with great skill. I was a bit afraid that the world building for the fantasy portion of the plot or the suspense of the mystery might take a hit as both are so complex to write and write well....but he pulled it off. I was almost immediately sucked into the world and the mystery. I don't often end up binge reading an entire book in a bit over one day, but I did this one. 

The basics: A high ranking officer is killed in a particularly strange and gory way. Detective Ana Dolabra and her sidekick Dinios "Din" Kol are on the case. And, it turns out that there is a lot more going on than just a mere murder. The entire plot as it unfolds is a threat to the very Empire itself. 

I'm not going to say much about the world or further details about the plot, because this story is really best read with no advanced knowledge beyond the bare basics. Let it unfold from the pages.....not spoilers! 

Loved the characters, the world, the premise -- so different and entertaining to read! Very clever. Skillfully written. And, just a joy to read! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Random House Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment