Friday, September 16, 2022

REVIEW: Dark Waters

 Dark Waters
Author: Katherine Arden


 Dark Waters is book 3 of the Small Spaces series. I enjoy this series -- and middle grade books in general -- because they are a wonderful escape from adulting. For just a little while I can escape into a story that has that sense of innocence and adventure that is so fleeting and elusive once life brings responsibilities, children, bills etc. Small Spaces is middle grade spooky/horror as well. I love being able to enjoy a creepy/spooky story that doesn't involve adult themes, gore, sex, etc.

The basics: Brian, Coco and Ollie are stressed from constantly worrying about The Smiling Man coming back. They have fought his evil twice now, and they all wish they could just defeat him and be free from his threats. So far though they can't figure out a way to destroy him. When their parents plan a day boating on Lake Champlain it sounds like a wonderful escape from their worries. But, it turns out Lake Champlain is home to a monster.....

I feel sorry for these kids. They just want to spend a day boating on the lake with their parents, but they end up fighting monsters again. The Smiling Man just won't give them a break. Very creepy story with a cool shipwreck/ghost/supernatural vibe to it. Very entertaining and perfect for my spooky reading season. Every fall I read as many ghostly/spooky/dark stories as I can fit into the weeks leading up to Halloween. This book was perfect! And, I have the next book, Empty Smiles, on hold at the library! Thankful for the awesome library system here! This book ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, so I'm glad to know the next part of the story is waiting at the library for me to pick it up. I don't have long to wait before I can find out what happens next for Brian, Coco and Ollie!

Great series. Very age appropriate for middle grade readers. Spooky story with a bit of scary -- but not too much. Perfect! And, the front cover art is awesome!!

I am definitely reading this series until it reaches its conclusion! 


No comments:

Post a Comment