Tuesday, March 15, 2016

REVIEW: Cat Trick

Cat Trick
Author: Sofie Kelly
Cozy Mystery
326 pages

Cat Trick is the 4th book in Sofie Kelly's Magical Cats Mystery series. Sofie Kelly is the pseudonym of Darlene Ryan, a Young Adult author and artist. There are 7 books in this series so far. The 8th book is coming out in October 2016.

In Cat Trick, Librarian Kathleen Paulson returns with her two cats, Owen and Hercules. Some Mayville Heights business people want to put the little town on the map with a tourist vacation package. A representative of Laurel Tours comes to town. Mike Glazer grew up in Mayville Heights, but he just isn't the bright young man people remember. Glazer has become a loud-mouthed, over opinionated jerk. He manages to offend nearly everyone in town within days of his arrival. Residents try to remain calm and treat him with patience because they want the vacation package to promote the town. Plans fall aside though, when Glazer is found dead. Was he murdered? Kathleen and her two magical felines are embroiled in mystery once again.

I very much enjoy this series. I like cozy mysteries as a quick read break from heavier fiction. And, as a foster parent to orphaned kittens, I love the fact that the two felines are rescue cats from a feral colony that is also featured in the book. Most of the main characters take turns feeding and checking on the feral colony at Wisteria Hill. As a Humane Society volunteer, I enjoy that aspect of the storyline as much as the mystery. :)

Sofie Kelly also has another cozy series written under the name Sofie Ryan: Second Chance Cat Mysteries.  And those two pen-names are both in reality the author Darlene Ryan. Confused yet? lol. Whatever name she goes by, I enjoy Ryan-Kelly-whatever-her-name's style. I have book 1 of the Second Chance Cat series on my TBR shelf. I think I might just soak up some sun this afternoon after the gym and give it a whirl. :)

Cats and mysteries. Mysteries and cats. I like that combo. :) And after finishing a rather emotionally heavy book this morning, I need a cozy to brighten my mind back up.  Cats in my book, and a real kitty on my lap. :) Great way to spend a warm, almost-spring afternoon.

My rating: 7/10
Ages: 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment