Thursday, March 17, 2016

REVIEW: A Darkness Strange & Lovely

A Darkness Strange and Lovely
Author: Susan Dennard
YA Fantasy

Eleanor Fitt. Miss Fitt. Misfit.

Eleanor returns in book 2 of the Something Strange and Deadly series. Her brother is dead. Her mother, who has gone insane, disowns her. The Spirit-Hunters are in Paris. So when Hell Hounds begin pursuing her, Eleanor is alone. Thinking the Necromancer Marcus is after her, she flees to Paris to join the Spirit-Hunters there. On the ship to France, she meets up with a friend of her brother's who has a secret that will completely change Eleanor's life.

I enjoyed this second book. There was a slight change in Eleanor from book 1 that I didn't expect. In book 2, Eleanor seems weak at times. In the first book, she was strong, independent and courageous in the face of danger. In book 2, she seemed weaker and more prone to be overly emotional in situations where quick action was required. I would have liked to have seen more of the strength Eleanor displayed in the first story. But, with Hell Hounds, an insane mother, losing nearly everything she owns, and seeing so much death, I can understand why Eleanor might be weaker. Maybe she had just seen or experienced too much.  I hope her strength and determination returns to the forefront in Book 3!

I was a bit surprised that the main villain, Marcus, is mentioned frequently in this book, but never actually shows up. I guess the big show-down is being saved for the final book. I look forward to it! My local library didn't have book 3, so I bought it. I couldn't wait until they have it to find out what happens to Miss Fitt. After I read the book, I'm going to donate it to the library. I'm sure there are other library patrons who want to find out how the story ends as well!

I love the cover art for this series! The model is pretty and the dresses she wears are gorgeous! :)

My Rating: 8/10
Ages 13+


No comments:

Post a Comment