Thursday, March 24, 2016

REVIEW: Scrooge and Marley

Scrooge and Marley
Author: Kurt F. Hollenbech

A Christmas Carol has been my favorite book ever since I first read it as a child. There's just something magical in the redemption of the unkind curmudgeon, Ebenezer Scrooge.

When I learned that there were several re-tellings and continuations of Scrooge's story by various authors, I had to start reading some of them. There have always been several unanswered questions for me -- how was the rest of Scrooge's life? What happened to Fred & his wife, or the Cratchit family? But most of all -- what happened to Jacob Marley? He made such an effort to bring about the redemption of his former business partner...was he really still damned to hell for all eternity?

Scrooge and Marley is the first continuation of  A Christmas Carol that I have read so far. Written by Karl Hollenbach, the book brings Marley and Scrooge together again to finish out some loose ends. It is exactly a year since the 3 ghosts visited Scrooge in the night to help him turn from his wicked ways. Marley returns to ask Scrooge to do him 4 favors so that he can be freed from his chains as well. As Scrooge completes each task, he learns more about true redemption and what it means to be human. Forgiveness, kindness and understanding are powerful forces for good. There are choices to be made in each person's life that can effect others, and those choices need to be made with care and love.

This book was a delightful read, and I thoroughly enjoyed Hollenbech's take on what might have happened after the ghosts departed and Scrooge's life was reformed. I was glad to see Marley earn more than wailing, gnashing of teeth and a spooky farewell of  "look to see me no more.''

The book is short....only 85 pages or so. But it really is a delightful read for fans of A Christmas Carol.

My rating: 8/10
Ages 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment