Wednesday, March 16, 2016

REVIEW: Break No Bones

Break No Bones
Author: Kathy Reichs
334 pages
Mystery/Crime

Break No Bones is the 9th novel in the Temperance Brennan series. This series is the inspiration behind the Bones television series. Technically, the television character really only shares her name with the book Brennan. The two characters are completely different. Reichs says that Brennan is merely at a different stage in her career in the television series. TV Brennan is at the beginning stages of her career, while the book Brennan is more mature. But from my point of view, the two characters are too dis-similar to be the same person. The television Brennan is socially inept and blunt, causing her relationships with co-workers and others to be strained at times. The book Brennan is socially more normal and has good working relationships with those around her. They are just too different to be the same woman.  I prefer to use the terms "loosely based on'' and enjoy both versions as separate entities. I enjoy both characters...and just keep them separate in my mind.

So if you are a TV watcher, don't expect the book Brennan to be like Bones. And if you are a book reader, don't turn the channel when you see how antisocial the TV Brennan can be. Both versions of the character will grow on you if you give them a chance.

In Break No Bones, Tempe is called to Charleston to teach an archaeology field course. Her students are digging in an ancient Native American burial ground. When they unearth a more modern skeleton, the local coroner asks Tempe to help with the investigation. The body count starts climbing, and Tempe realizes this isn't just about a recent burial in an ancient burial ground.

This book left me feeling a bit meh rather than excited. The plot blows up into an international crime situation that left me a bit incredulous. I'm hoping the next book has Temperance Brennan investigating a murder or two that doesn't have to be blown up to epic proportions that push my ability to suspend reality. Amid the attempt to conjure up a case that was large scale and important, the actual mystery portion of the plot was too predictable. I had significant portions figured out early in the book. I want less intrigue and overblown plot, and more investigation, I guess.

My one other problem with this book series: I find Brennan's love affair with Andrew Ryan to be annoying. Brennan is still married to her husband, but they have been separated for years. She is in a relationship with Ryan. In Break No Bones, Brennan and her husband are sharing a beach house in Charleston because both are working there at the same time. Then Ryan comes to stay at the house, too. Most of the two men's interaction within the story was immature personal comments and jealousy over Brennan. It got old really fast. Brennan and Ryan constantly fight over silly things. The outcome is usually Ryan driving off and not answering his phone for days. Really guys? How old are you?  This has been dragging on for multiple books now. This isn't an edge of the seat "will they or won't they'' romantic tension sort of thing. They already do and have...   But Brennan doesn't get divorced from her husband or even seem to think about it. Their daughter is grown and on her own. If they have lived apart for years, why remain married? And Ryan still runs off every time they have a spat. And it always ends with Brennan upset because Ryan won't answer his phone. The dialogue between them is ridiculous at times.  The couple either needs to get it in gear......or move on.  I'm tired of this plot angle.

Now that I have gotten the negatives off my chest......I want to add that I really enjoy the investigative aspects of these books. Reichs lets loose with her actual real-life expertise when it comes to explaining forensics. For me, the forensics portion of the story is what keeps me reading this series. I find it fascinating, and I enjoy the science involved in gleaning clues from skeletal remains. I roll my eyes at Brennan's private life. And the silly overblown plots at times can really get old. But the investigation and procedure involved pep the story back up and keep me coming back for the next book.

My rating: 7/10
Ages 16+
Some sexual situations and violence, but not graphic

No comments:

Post a Comment