Monday, March 28, 2016

REVIEW: The Further Adventures of Ebenezer Scrooge

The Further Adventures of Ebenezer Scrooge
Author: Charlie Lovett

It has been 20 years since the ghosts of Christmas appeared to help Scrooge reform his life and saved him from an eternity in hell, bound by chains like the ones still worn by the ghost of his poor partner, Jacob Marley. Scrooge has kept his promise to keep Christmas every day, not just on December 25th, much to the consternation of many around him. Every day, Scrooge goes around London wishing people a Merry Christmas, wearing a scarf, and being jolly, even during the hottest days of summer. It is on one such hot summer night that Scrooge is once again visited by the ghost of Marley. Scrooge promises to assist Marley in shedding the spiritual chains he formed link by link and yard by yard by his poor treatment of his fellow human beings. Scrooge takes on the challenge with all of his charitable zest for life and helping others, and the ghosts return to work their magic, and help Marley find peace.

A Christmas Carol has been my favorite book since I was a little girl. And this month I am reading a few re-tellings and continuations of the story. So far, this one is my favorite. Lovett's tale is well-written, in keeping with the style of Dickens' classic, and just fun to read. It's a nice mix of humor, and morality tale.

The copy that I own is a beautiful hardback book published by Penguin/Random House. It looks great on my shelf next to my Penguin Christmas Classics set. All were a gift from my #otspsecretsister this past Christmas. Thank you, Lili!

I have several more Christmas Carol related books I'm going to read and review. I hope some or all of them are as enjoyable as this book!

My rating: 8/10
Ages: 10+

No comments:

Post a Comment