Wednesday, January 11, 2017

REVIEW: Kolchak: The Night Stalker - The Lost World

Kolchak: The Night Stalker - The Lost World
Author: C.J. Henderson

Carl Kolchak. The Night Stalker. Reporter. Supernatural investigator. Loveable slob.

I am a huge fan of the 1970s television show starring Darren McGavin (before you ask, I am not even going to mention the shit remake that got almost immediately cancelled....that was dreck. What were they thinking? Same writers who attempted to put Dresden on television??? Ugh. Shoot...I said I wasn't going to mention it....and then I mentioned it. But I digress....back to the review....). Even though it only lasted one season, I have happily watched those few episodes over and over again since then. And I have eagerly read every Kolchak novel and comic book I've come across. I love the character and the concept. Maybe it has something to do with the fact I was a reporter for many years? Not sure. I never had the joy of covering anything even remotely supernatural. The murders, crimes and othe rmayhem  I covered were all too real and not committed by anything but normal, although horrific, human beings. I think I love the Kolchak character because he's normal. He's not heroic, larger-than-life and anything above average that would stick out of the crowd. He's just a slobby reporter on the night beat in a wrinkled seersucker suit and an ugly hat, who just happens to be a magnet for all things creepy that go bump-in-the-night. Vampires. Ghosts. Animated suits of armor. Angry pagan gods. He's seen it all.

In The Lost World, Kolchak is his usual wrinkled, slightly unkempt self, just trying to make a living and escape his reputation as a weird-magnet. He is unable to do so, of course. Kolchak finds himself on a trip to the jungle to cover the story of a feud between major drug dealers. He soon finds out that the drug war is not just a war, but a fight over a mysterious group of men: The Seventy-Two, and the secrets they protect.

The story is short, but packed with action and the usual Kolchak creepy-weird happenings. The book is well-written, and true to the character I love. The action and tension is well-paced, packing a great punch into the 124 pages of this novelette. This is an updated Kolchak, not 1970's retro. He is internet savvy, a knowledgeable modern reporter, yet still lovably slobby and funny.

This is a great read for Kolchak fans, or anyone who loves a quick adventurous, weird read. This is a update of the character that Kolchak fans will approve of.....and not like that show-attempt-that-shall-not-be-mentioned-again.

C.J. Henderson has written two other Kolchak novels: A Black & Evil Truth and The Lovecraftian Horror. The Lost World is the first one I've read....I have definitely added the other two to my wish list!

For those fans of action/adventure retro-style who have never experienced Kolchak, you can find the old episodes on YouTube. It's an old show worth watching. Supernatural action/adventure with a bit of cheesy humor thrown in. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment