Tuesday, July 7, 2020

REVIEW: A Study in Murder

A Study in Murder
Author: Callie Hutton

I always love discovering a new-to-me author, especially when they write cozy mysteries! I enjoy cozies....relaxing, cute, fun reads with an edge of danger. Just a bit of murder. Not drippy, screamy, gore-filled murder....cozy murder. Very little blood....cute pets....interesting, fun background fluff. :) These books are my escape when work, life, other rough adult fiction get my mind in a state. With cozies, I return to calm, cool and collected.

I jumped at the chance to read this start to the Victorian Book Club mysteries because the basic plot synopsis appealed to me. Lady Amy Lovell lives in Bath. She's an author...but has to hide it because she is a woman. In 1890, writing about murder (or anything really) was just not something a lady should do. First she receives a letter revealing dark facts about her fiance. Then there is a murder....in her own house, and she is the main suspect. She teams up with a family friend to sleuth out the truth before it's too late.

I enjoyed this book! The characters are awesome! Amy and William are perfect sleuthing partners! I thought the end was perfect. The mystery moves along at a nice pace, with plenty of investigation, suspects and a few surprises. I wasn't that surprised at the reveal, but there were plenty of interesting tidbits at the end to leave me completely satisfied at the conclusion.

Great start to a new cozy series! Relaxing day of reading....and I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the next book in this new series!

**I voluntarily read a review copy from Crooked Lane. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment