Thursday, February 18, 2021

REVIEW: The Call of Wings

 The Call of Wings
Author: Agatha Christie


Silas Hamer is a happy man. He's made a fortune and has the sort of life he wants. But, when he witnesses a death, he starts wondering if he really has what he needs. Death could take it all from him. Then, he hears a street musician playing a song and his outlook, and his fate, is strangely changed. 

This story was first published in The Hound of Death story collection in 1933 (UK). It wasn't published in the US until 1971 (The Golden Ball and Other Stories). 

I found this story interesting as it raises some questions about the human condition -- does money bring happiness? Can a person be truly happy with no thought or belief in spirituality? Can a selfless person truly be happy? Very complex concepts wrapped up in a very odd story...   I have to be honest and say the story is well crafted, but I didn't like it. It's just.....odd and depressing. I understand the point and the nuances, but by the end I just didn't care for this one. Not every story is for every reader (even those written by my favorite author!)....and this one was just a bit much for me. 

Odd. Weird. Depressing. But....a good story. My feelings as this story came to a close, I think, were the very feelings Agatha Christie wanted her readers to feel after this strange little tale. 

I listened to an audio version of this story from The Golden Ball and Other Stories (HarperAudio). The tales from The Hound of Death were read by Christopher Lee. His voice is so low and he speaks so slowly that his reading supernatural or bizarre stories just seems perfect somehow.

On to the next! 




No comments:

Post a Comment