Friday, February 12, 2021

REVIEW: The Raja's Emerald

 The Raja's Emerald
Author: Agatha Christie


This story is a bit of a He Who Laughs Last sort of tale. The Raja's Emerald is short and a bit of fluff, but a fun read! James Bond (the name made me smile -- Agatha Christie wrote this short story almost 30 years before Ian Fleming published his first spy novel) has travelled to a lovely tourist destination by the sea. The cost is a bit above his means so he's lodged in an out of the way boarding house while his girlfriend is staying with friends in much fancier digs. James is livid....jealous....and a bit angry. And Grace is being a bit thoughtless. Wanting to get between his girl and a foppish oaf that seems to have his eyes on her, James makes use of a private dressing hut at the beach instead of waiting in line for a tent to change. Little does he realize what will be in his pocket when he returns later to put his street clothes back on.....  And, he gets the last laugh in the end!

Cute story! I could see this all playing out in my head as I listened to the audio version (read by Hugh Fraser, the actor who played Hastings in the Poirot television show). I could just see the look on James Bond's face when he reached in his pocket and pulled out a wonder.....and his smile when he got a bit of revenge at the end. There really isn't much to this story. It's short and simple, but FUN. Loved it! 

The Raja's Emerald first appeared in Red Magazine (UK) in July 1926 and appeared in the short story collection The Listerdale Mystery in 1934. The story was not published in the US until 1971 in The Golden Ball and Other Stories. I could not find a copy of The Listerdale Mystery, so I've been listening to the stories in audio format using The Golden Ball and Other Stories and Witness for the Prosecution and Other Stories. The audio books are narrated by Hugh Fraser -- perfect choice! He does a great job, and I love his voice! 

I wish I could find just one of these stories in their original magazine format. I'd love to see the accompanying illustration, ads from the magazine and other stories the edition contained! I continue to weasel around on the internet trying to find a scan or digital copy from a library or something! If I find any, I will definitely share a link so others can have a look too! And, if you know a source where I can get a glimpse at ANY of these original stories, please share and make this Christie fan incredibly happy! 

I found no information on any adaptations of this story for radio or television. Most likely because it's really a bit of fluff and more entertainment than serious plot. 

I'm loving my journey through Christie's writing! Another enjoyable short story by Christie -- on to the next!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment