Thursday, February 18, 2021

REVIEW: If I Disappear

 If I Disappear
Author: Eliza Jane Brazier


As a fan of true crime podcasts, I identified a little bit with the main character of this book, Sera. A little bit is the key phrase....Sera is obsessed with one podcaster. Rachel, who has a podcast about missing women called Murder, She Spoke. When the host goes silent on social media and no new episodes of Murder, She Spoke are appearing, Sera goes in search of her favorite podcaster.... 

I liked how snippets of the podcast were worked into the chapters of this story. The point of view was an interesting effect as well. Sera speaks as if the reader were Rachel. The story is intense....this isn't a comfortable read. Bizarre events. Strange people. A main character who seems strong and intelligent...but so close to a breakdown. An odd and unsettling story told in an odd and unsettling way.....but a compelling one. I binge read this book in one night because I couldn't put it down. 

The ending was a bit strange....but I had no problem with that as the entire story just pretty much lends itself to strange. Very entertaining book! It kept me on the edge of my seat with a strong case of the heebies from start to finish!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Berkley Publishing. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. **

No comments:

Post a Comment