Tuesday, October 19, 2021

REVIEW: Nothing But Blackened Teeth

 Nothing But Blackened Teeth
Author: Cassandra Khaw


I knew that this story was going to be creepy.....but holy crap! This story is just downright horrific! Awesomely horrific!

A group of "friends'' -- really people who used to be friends but have basically destroyed their relationships through growing up, poor decisions, and thoughtlessness. The cohesiveness of young bonds broken by adulthood and change. But, they are together again. To celebrate a wedding. In the weirdest venue ever -- a dilapidated, remote Japanese mansion with a haunting, creepy history. Nadia & Faiz celebrating their love. Peter performing the ceremony. Lin and Cat rounding out the party. Nadia has always dreamed of a wedding in a haunted house....and Nadia gets what she wants. But, the house also wants...and what it wants is dark and gruesome. 

Wow. Just wow. This story is short, but it packs quite a supernatural punch in 100 pages. I could see this being a Japanese style horror movie. Wicked camera tricks. Black eyed spirits. Weird lighting and jerky movement. Perfect! 

Great story! This is the first story by Cassandra Khaw that I've read. I'm definitely going to read more! Loved it! The cover art is perfect!

10/2/2021 - As I read my early review copy of this book earlier this year, I kept thinking how awesome this spooky bit of folklore based horror would be in audio format. So....I snagged an early copy of the audio book. OMG -- so awesome!

The audio is just over 2.5 hours -- easy listening length. Narrated by Suehyla El-Attar, this is a great spooky story set in an abandoned mansion. Great job of voice acting. So glad I listened to this story after reading it. For whatever reason, horror stories hit harder with me when I'm listening to them....sort of like hearing ghost stories around a campfire! But.....while nestled comfy in my house with a cup of tea!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Macmillan/Tor-Forge. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment