Sunday, October 10, 2021

REVIEW: The Wandering Earth

 The Wandering Earth
Author: Cixin Liu


After reading and loving The Three Body Problem, I definitely wanted to enjoy more stories by Cixin Liu. I love sci-fi, and these translated stories bring something different to the table than most of the modern Sci-Fi I read. 

The Wandering Earth is a collection of 11 stories. I first wanted to read this collection for the title story - The Wandering Earth - since a movie was made from this novella. I have a rule of always reading the book/story that a film is based on before watching the movie, and wanted to experience the story the way the author wrote it first before going to Netflix to watch the movie version. I heard the movie version was terrible so wanted to have an informed opinion. The reviews are correct -- the movie is terrible IMHO. Story is awesome....a bit absurd in spots but a great story nonetheless. The movie.....well.....watch it for yourself and see what you think. 

I'm glad I listened to this audio book in its entirety instead of just listening to the main story I wanted to hear. All 11 of these stories are an ode to the Earth. Some are related to each other, but all can be read as stand alone stories. The author's stories encompass some hard-hitting topics - the environment, culture, society, human nature, and science. 

Cixan Liu's writing is very thought provoking. It isn't the sort of sci-fi that involves robots and laser gun fights -- although I love that sort too. It's the sort of Sci-fi that makes one think about the place of human kind in the universe. The stories are varied...some are awesome, others a bit absurd....but all make the reader think deeper thoughts. At least I did. 

**I voluntarily listened to an review copy of this audio book from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment