Saturday, October 9, 2021

REVIEW: The Weekend Escape

 The Weekend Escape
Author: Rakie Bennett


Right off the bat I'm going to say that this story is nothing new. A tale of friends who go on a trip to somewhere remote as a fun excursion, a reunion, to have fun...but secrets/lies/jealousies/evil intentions change the trip from fun into pure terror. It's been done before....many, many times before....

But....I love that story line! So yep -- read this book, got sucked right into the drama and enjoyed every word! Because an island....a violent storm....six self-absorbed people with mucho past drama = perfect setting! 

It didn't take long for these six "friends" to start turning on each other. Once that started, I couldn't put the book down! I didn't really like any of the characters...but that's not really the point in a suspense novel like this one...right? I'm supposed to dislike them and get totally immersed in the drama, trying to discover which one is out to get the others. And I did. I kept finding myself imaging what I would do in such a situation....besides totally freak out. I think at the first injury/death/disappearance, I would just gather up food/water/a good book and lock myself in my room with the door barricaded and wait for the others to kill each other, hoping they would all just forget about me. Ha! 

Very entertaining and suspenseful story! I think the lesson I take away from it is to never go to an isolated island with people I haven't seen in 10 years. Nope. In all the books I've read with this plot, it never turned out well. Ever. 

This is the first book by Rakie Bennett that I've read. It appears The Weekend Escape is her first book unless she writes under another pen name. I'm definitely going to read her next book -- can't wait to find out what she comes up with next! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from HarperCollins. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment