Sunday, July 24, 2022

REVIEW: Black Tide

 Black Tide
Author: KC Jones



Beth is enjoying the beach as she house and dog sits for a client. She could never afford to live on this stretch of the Oregon coast so she's enjoying it while she can. Then she catches a glimpse of the 40-something man next door.....a bit of flirting...a few glances.....and they are enjoying a one-night-stand together. But, that night, something happens that turns it into so much more than a fling between strangers....

What looked like a meteor shower or maybe a comet passing through the sky the night before was so much more. Soon Mike, Beth and a dog named Jake are fighting for their lives against all sorts of completely terrifying monsters.

I love sci-fi horror! Movies, books, audio....I don't care what format....just love scary sci-fi tales. I had lots of different reactions to this story. The strongest was probably my constant inner monologue of: nothing had better happen to the dog, they had better protect the dog, how is jake, etc  So, I have to admit that my favorite character in the book was, of course, the dog. I admit it. Not sorry. (and no, I will not tell you if the dog made it through to the end ok). My second was reaction was complete sympathy and horror for the plight of the main characters. I can't imagine being stranded in a car on the beach inside a car......with a complete shit show going on all around. And that reaction led me to thinking that this story would make an excellent movie!

I started out reading an ebook arc of this story, but then switched to the audiobook. For some reason I find horror stories more frightening if I'm listening to them. The audio book is almost 9 hours long and is narrated by John Pirhalla and Sophie Amoss. I was unfamiliar with both narrators but will definitely be looking for other audio books narrated by both! Both did a wonderful job of bringing these characters to life.

I hope KC Jones writes more of the same. I really enjoyed this story. The characters are quirky, interesting and relatable. The dog is awesome. And the situation was crazy creepy! Very entertaining. I enjoyed it!

**I voluntarily read an ebook arc from Macmillan/Tor-Forge and an audiobook from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. I apologize to my readers and the publishers for the lateness of this review. I just made a 1500 mile move for a new job and it put me behind on writing and reviews. Things are returning to normal now, and reviews will return to always timely.**

No comments:

Post a Comment