Tuesday, July 26, 2022

REVIEW: Upgrade

 Upgrade
Author: Blake Crouch


I have been a huge fan of Blake Crouch's writing ever since I read the the Wayward Pines trilogy. I pretty much read everything he writes as I'm never disappointed.

I have to be honest and say that this book scared me. The entire time I was reading I kept thinking -- you know, this shit could actually happen....maybe it already has? What if scientists/doctors really started tinkering with the human genome to make us "better''? Where would it stop? And would it really be done to make things better or for other darker reasons?

I totally binge read my ebook ARC copy of this book as I made a 1500 mile move from NC to CO in June. I'm bouncing around in a freaking rented moving truck, with my eyeballs glued to this ebook the whole way because I couldn't stop reading. Great story! I just read that Crouch's book Dark Matter is being made into a television series. This story would be an excellent series as well! It takes a lot to freak me out....and this story had my brain busy with all sorts of moral and ethical inner debates. How far is too far when it comes to medical breakthroughs and scientific studies of the human brain and DNA? If we mess with our genetic code are we gambling with something we should leave alone? Or is manipulating our genetic code part of our inevitable evolution?

I love it when a book sends me into deep thoughts! This is why I read everything Blake Crouch writes!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Random House Publishing/Ballantine. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment