Wednesday, July 27, 2022

REVIEW: What Moves the Dead

 What Moves the Dead
Author: T. Kingfisher


It takes a skillful writer to take a classic story and re-imagine into a different, but wonderful, new tale. I was a bit skeptical that T. Kingfisher could pull off a re-imagining of Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allen Poe. I mean....it's Poe....nobody Poes better than Poe. But....I am happy to state that What Moves the Dead is a wonderful revisit to one of my favorite Poe stories!

This is not my first dip into Kingfisher's writing. I read and enjoyed The Twisted Ones. I usually avoid reworkings of stories by Poe, but since I enjoyed The Twisted Ones, I decided an open mind was a better choice than just refusing to read. I'm glad I made that choice. I loved this book!

Delightfully dark, creepy and atmospheric, Kingfisher recreates the crumbling manor house, the weird vibe of the grounds, and gothic feel of the original while adding sinister imagery and imaginings of her own. I'm definitely buying this book for my collection, but I think I will opt for the audio book. There's just something about having a creepy story read to you! Gotta have it! Which is amazing to me given the fact I usually avoid all re-tellings of Poe like the plague. Not only did I read this one and love it, but I'm going to buy the book. I love it when an author surprises me! I even loved the cover art -- delightfully weird and creepy! Perfect!

I can't wait to see what this author comes up with next! And while I'm waiting, I'm going to do a deep dive into her other books. I love creepy horror and this author does it well!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Macmillan/Tor-Forge. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment