Sunday, July 31, 2022

REVIEW: Quicksilver

 Quicksilver
Author: Dean Koontz


Dean Koontz is usually hit or miss for me. This story was largely a miss. Interesting at first....but the story rambled on so long and took ages to get to the point. By the time it did, I really didn't care anymore. Interesting premise...very very interesting premise. Weird execution. I stuck with this from start to finish so I could give a complete opinion....I wish I had DNF'd it and moved on.

Why didn't I like this book? Weird rambling dialogue between characters. Strange long-winded descriptions that seemed like story padding. A plot that is pretty much a recycling of earlier stories.

Quinn Quicksilver was abandoned as an infant and raised in an orphanage. His life was pretty mundane until the day some strange force compelled him to find a rare coin...then he finds himself pursued by government agents and strange monsters. He meets up with Bridget who is like him and traveling with her grandfather. Add in a dog they find along the way and a formidable foe. It's pretty much formula Koontz.

This story could have been told better. Fewer pages. Less philosophical ramblings that didn't move the plot. More action. Less rambling.

I didn't enjoy this story. Not every book is for every reader. The last few Koontz novels I have tried have just not been for me. Maybe it's time for me to just move on to other writers? I keep trying to re-connect as I loved some of Koontz' earlier novels. His formula has stayed pretty much the same, but his writing style has changed. I want horror that keeps me engaged, keeps me interested. Scary stories should scare me. This wasn't scary.....it was just a long, rambling mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment