Thursday, July 28, 2022

REVIEW: An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good

 An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good
Author: Helene Tursten


I checked this book out from the library with no idea what to expect. I'd never read a book by Helen Tursten before and wouldn't have know this story existed if it hadn't been chosen by my book club for July's read.

OMG! I loved this book!! I absolutely love it when an author surprises me -- and this collection of stories about a little old lady definitely surprised me. I started the audio book and by the time the first story was over I was staring open mouthed at my phone in total surprise. Maud is 89 years old. For the past 70+ years she's lived rent free in her apartment...the only thing that passed down to her from her parents. Most of the stories are told from Maud's point of view, with one being from a neighbor's perspective.  Maud is not your typical elderly spinster lady. She's definitely no Jane Marple. Quite the opposite in fact!

The audiobook is a short listen at just over 3 hours. Suzanne Toren is an excellent narrator. Her performance brings the stories to life.

Loved this book! Immediately checked out the second book on audio. Loved it too! And we definitely had a very lively book club discussion!

Several of Tursten's detective novels have also been translated into English.I'm definitely reading more by this author!

No comments:

Post a Comment