Saturday, July 23, 2022

REVIEW: The Hidden One

 The Hidden One
Author: Linda Castillo


I've been reading the Kate Burkholder series since the first book came out in 2009. The Hidden One is book 14 and I still eagerly await each new book in this series! Kate Burkholder grew up Amish. Though she has left the faith, the Amish still touch her life as she is the Chief of Police in Painters Mill where she grew up.

In this newest story, Kate gets pulled into a case involving a Bishop who disappeared a decade before. She travels to another town to investigate. But someone doesn't want her to find out the truth. Someone wants the past buried and kept hidden. As she gets closer and closer to finding out what happened, the danger to her life grows.

Because this is a mystery story and spoilers ruin it for readers, I'm not going to comment on direct plot points or the ending, etc.  But I will say that I love the characters, settings and plots in this series. Linda Castillo never disappoints! I look forward to every book, novella and short story in this series....and will continue to read every word!

This story can be read as a standalone in this series. So if you haven't read any of the books but want to try out this series, jump right in and try this new one -- or start at book 1 -- you will enjoy it either way!

I started reading an ebook arc of this newest Kate Burkholder novel, but then switched to the audiobook. The audio book is just over 9 hours long and is narrated by Kathleen McInerney. McInerney always does a superb job of narrating. Her voice is pleasant. She does a good job of voice acting and reads at an even, steady pace. I always enjoy her narration!

Another great book in this series! Can't wait for more!

**I voluntarily read an ebook arc from St Martins Press and an audio book from Macmillan Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. I apologize to my readers and the publishers for the lateness of this review. I just made a 1500-mile move from NC to CO to take a new job,and it put me behind on writing/blogging/reviewing. Things are normalizing now and reviews will return to being always timely.**

No comments:

Post a Comment