Thursday, October 6, 2022

REVIEW: After Midnight

 Close to Midnight
Author: Various, edited by Mark Morris


I absolutely love horror short story anthologies! It's a great way to discover new-to-me horror writers and each story can be vastly different while still being creepy. I find myself reading through anthologies quickly to get reviews done on time, and then I get a physical copy and take a slower trip through the stories for a second time. And this collection is no different. I read through this once to be able to post my review. And I'm at the top of the hold list at my local library to get my mits on a physical copy so I can look each author up, re-read their story and really soak in the creepy vibes.

I have never been disappointed by a story anthology in this series. I read both of the prior collections -- Beyond the Veil and After Sundown. Thoroughly enjoyed each one! That's why I'm back for the 3rd round! Wouldn't miss it for the world!

This collection has 20 stories. Most of the authors were new to me. Some I have read before. I liked some of the stories better than others. But, there weren't any that I didn't enjoy reading. Nice varied mix of horror stories. They are all horror tales, but there is no central theme. I liked the surprise of each new story going off in its own direction.

Very entertaining and creepy story collection! I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the next collection! I will add to this review once I get my hands on a physical copy and can take my time meandering through the tales again. Sometimes with horror you just have to take time to stop and smell the blood, if you know what I mean.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Flame Tree Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment