Sunday, October 2, 2022

REVIEW: All That is Wicked

 All That is Wicked
Author: Kate Winkler Dawson


I guess I have to admit that I'm somehow obsessed with murder cases. I watch documentaries on true crimes all the time. I read murder mysteries, true crime books, non fiction about investigations. And I listen to about a bazillion podcasts on the topic. Yikes. If I was ever a suspect in a murder, the FBI would have a field day with my search history. Not a killer -- I'm just interested in investigations of solved and unsolved murders/violent crimes.

When I saw this book available for review, I had to read it. Not only had I not heard of this serial killer, but I hadn't heard of Kate Dawson either. Glad I rectified both issues! I have two other books by this author  added to my TBR at the local library, and I'm followed two of her podcasts as well!

This book is intense. Edward Rulloff was an evil, violent, disgusting person. He was a genius and a serial killer in the 19th century before the term "serial killer" even existed. His case was one of the first to become a public spectacle and media frenzy. And, doctors and scientists practically lined up to study Rulloff. In fact, a renowned university still has this killer's brain preserved in a jar.

Awesome book! Dawson definitely did huge amounts of research and tells the tale in a factual, yet interesting way. This book kept my attention from start to finish. I was so curious about the doctors and psychiatrists back then who were just trying to learn about the human brain and criminal behavior. So interesting!

I'm definitely going to read more by this author. I enjoyed reading about a case that I really hadn't heard of before.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Penguin Group. All opinions expressed are entirely  my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment