Friday, October 7, 2022

REVIEW: The Charterhouse of Evil

 The Charterhouse of Evil
Author: Janice Tremayne


I'm picky about which horror novels I read, and which ones I leave alone. As I write this, it's spooky season....and I'm even more picky about my horror reads leading up  to Halloween. I want a story to be scary, suspenseful, and well-written, plus there has to be an interesting plot to go along with the horror aspects. Janice Tremayne's books always deliver spooky-done-right. Her writing has a permanent place in my spooky reading season line-up. A horror tale should invest a reader in the story and characters....and then totally creep them out! This author delivers that each time. With work and parental responsibilities, I only get so much reading time and I am never disappointed that I invested time in a Janice Tremayne book.

The Charterhouse of Evil is the 5th book in the Haunting Clarisse series. Orphans are mysteriously dying and Clarisse is called in to investigate. That's the only snippet of plot I'm going to give away. It's important to come into the book with as little knowledge of the story line as possible. Supernatural horror is just more scary when the story is a surprise! I will say this:  this story is eerie, suspenseful and scary! I am not an easily creeped out person, but I read this story at night, and I shouldn't have. I finished this story at 2 am.....and laid down to sleep on the couch as the Fall breeze coming in the screen door was so nice. We live on the top floor of our building, so I can leave the sliding door open with little fear of anyone intruding. I settled in for some good sleep, but kept being jerked awake by weird noises. Then I saw movement out on the balcony. Cue creepy, feel-like-I'm-being-watched vibes.....I sat straight up and got that stabbing rush of adrenaline. Something was at the screen door! Then I realized it was my nightly guests I can't seem to scare off -- pigeons. Don't tell my teenager. He will never let me live it down that Janice Tremayne creeped me out enough to make me startle awake in the middle of the night because of ..... pigeons. I'm sure the birds are laughing too. Feathered jerks!

Another great story in this series! And Tremayne's Zack Bolder series is also very good! I will keep reading each book this author writes as she never disappoints me. The cover art is awesome as well!






No comments:

Post a Comment