Thursday, February 9, 2017

REVIEW: Dorothy Must Die

Dorothy Must Die
Author: Danielle Paige

This ain't your mama's Wizard of Oz.

I didn't expect to like this book. Frank L. Baum's classic Oz books have been favorites of mine since I was a young girl. I had them all, and I loved Oz, Glinda, Dorothy, Jack Pumpkinhead, Tik-Tok... I loved every book and every character. Re-tellings and modernizations of the Oz stories have never been my thing. I'm one of the few who absolutely hated Wicked.

But, I made a promise to myself to start trying new things. Starting with one of my biggest pet peeves -- re-tellings. So far, I have been genuinely surprised by most of the ones I've tried. So....I decided to take a deep breath, put my big girl panties on, and try a Wizard of Oz re-visit.

It only took two chapters. The story sucked me in, and I found myself enjoying Dorothy Must Die. Kansas girl, Amy Gumm,  is struggling through school in Kansas where she is bullied on a daily basis and deals with her alcoholic mother. Then one night, a tornado changes all that  -- her trailer is whisked away and lands in Oz. Suddenly the Kansas girl is faced with the knowledge that none of the characters she remembers are like they are in the storybook. Good characters act bad. Bad characters seem good. And Oz is falling apart. Why? It's all because of Dorothy.

The story was great! I couldn't stop reading! By the time I was halfway finished, I was already putting a hold on book 2 at the library. Must. Keep. Reading.

There are 3 books and several prequel short stories in the Dorothy Must Die series. The fourth book, The End of Oz, will be published in March.




No comments:

Post a Comment