Monday, March 9, 2020

REVIEW: The Deep

The Deep
Author: Alma Katsu

Annie Hebbley survived the sinking of the Titanic. The event has left her mentally scarred. She lost her memory for a time, and still remembers the strange events on board the doomed ship as it sailed on its ill-fated maiden voyage. Years later, a friend contacts her asking her to come be a nurse aboard Titanic's sister ship, the Britannic. Even though Britannic has been refitted into a hospital ship, Annie still can see the resemblance to the Titanic. Then the same strange bizarre things start to happen....and she sees someone she recognizes...a man who was aboard the Titanic....a man who could not have survived the sinking....

I loved Alma Katsu's book,The Hunger, about the Donner Party, so I knew I would enjoy this one about the Titanic and its sister ship. OMG....this story was so creepy and suspenseful! I enjoy just about anything about the Titanic....but add in some great horror elements....and it's binge read material for me!

This story alternates between Annie's trip on the Titanic in 1912 as a maid, and her journey on the refitted Britannic in 1916. Usually I'm not really a fan of stories that jump back and forth in time, but for this story the time shifts just heightened the suspense. I'm not going to give away anything about the plot.....it would be much better to go into the story not knowing much about what's going to happen other than the tale centers around the Titanic and Britannic.

I LOVE the cover art for this book! I am buying a copy for my keeper shelf because it's just a gorgeous book. Even though I know the ending, I know I will want to re-read this one. My Titanic obsession will require it!

Very suspenseful and entertaining read! I couldn't put it down once I got into the story.....  Alma Katsu has not let me down yet! I added her other books to my TBR stack....must read them all! :) I can't wait to see what her next new novel will bring! Roanoke Island maybe?  She keeps hitting strange historical events that I'm totally obsessed with -- the Donner Party, The Titanic....  Can't wait to see what the next one might be!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Penguin. All opinions expressed are entirely my own. **

No comments:

Post a Comment