Monday, April 3, 2023

REVIEW: Scared Silly - Stories to Make you Gasp and Giggle

 Scared Silly
Author: Judith Bauer Stamper
Artwork: Tim Raglin


The artwork in this children's book caught my eye, and I just had to read this book. The stories are a bit spooky, but light and humorous. Perfect for a elementary aged child who might not like scarier fare, and the short, very cute, illustrated stories would be perfect to read out loud to kids as well.

The cover definitely caught my eye. Brightly colored, and lightly spooky! I really like Tim Raglin's illustrations in this book! They definitely bring the poems, stories and fun to life! Judith Bauer Stamper has written so many great books for elementary and middle grade children. Love reading her books!

This book has 194 pages, but the stories are short and easy to read. There are colorful illustrations on each page. So, this book is not too long for a newer or slow reader to enjoy, and perfect length for read-aloud fun leading up to Halloween. Or, as a writing prompt for kids to write and illustrate their own spooky stories. A classroom of kids could create their own story collection!

Hard to pick a favorite from this book. There are so many cute tales. And there were a couple stories I

recognized as re-workings of classics (like Where's my toe?? Who has my toe??? LOL). If I had to pick one that really made me smile, I'd have to go with The Last Laugh. A ghost pulls a cute prank! 

Very enjoyable and cute book for kids! Perfect for Fall or Halloween reading - or any time! And, fun for adults to read as well. The illustrations are wonderful, and really make the tales even more cute and enjoyable. And, the book has a nice mix of different kinds of stories -- knock knock jokes, poems, short stories, tales that are a bit spooky, and some that are just funny or cute. Nice varied mix on a theme. Loved it!


No comments:

Post a Comment