Saturday, April 8, 2023

REVIEW: Still More Scary Stories for Sleep-Overs

Still More Scary Stories for Sleep-Overs
Author: Q.L. Pearce
Illustrations: Dwight Been


Love, love, love scary story collections for kids! I've been hooked on books like this since I was a kid and ordered similar books a couple times a year on paper forms handed out by my teacher. :) I wish I still had some of the books I ordered or ones I bought for my kids over the years! But at least I can get a dose of nostalgia when I have lucky finds in used book shops, thrift stores or by borrowing for a couple hours on Open Library. 

I looked Q L Pearce up to see if any of the books in this series are still available for purchase. I didn't find this series available in ebook or new paperback formats, but she does have an ebook called Spine Chillers on Amazon. The rest appear to be OOP. Used copies of the Stories for Sleep-Overs books are available online, but watch for ridiculous prices. Sellers seem to have the idea that every old paperback is a "collectible" and have inflated the prices so much that it's ridiculous. I troll garage sales, thrift shops, used book stores and sometimes find some treasures. Haven't come across any copies from this series yet though. If you do - I highly recommend grabbing them if scary stories are your thing. These books are fun to read! 

I definitely see the value of these stories for reading to kids during scary season - or any time! They make for lovely writing prompts, or read-aloud opportunities. At home, books like this are fun bedtime reading stories for kids who don't get overly scared. And....of course....they are wonderful stories for sleep-overs!


As an adult, this story collection and others like it are just completely entertaining and fun to read. Brain candy. No heavy themes, no nakkie bits, no spurting blood.....just light spooky fun. Sometimes it's just incredibly enjoyable to read a story just because it's fun to read. 

This collection gathers up 11 spooky tales suitable for middle grade or junior high kids (and adults!). My favorite story from this collection is: The Evil Portrait. The story is a tale of an evil dead man who comes back to bring terror to the living. Great story! I liked all the tales in this collection. They are well-written and not just parodies of classic stories. 

I love the illustrations by Dwight Been. Just awesome! 



No comments:

Post a Comment