Sunday, November 19, 2023

REVIEW: Let Him In

 Let Him In
Author: William Friend


The incredible, creepy front cover of this book is what first drew me in. Then I read the plot blurb and was instantly intrigued. Others have written great stories about children whose imaginary friends aren't so imaginary or innocent. But this story takes that premise to a new, bizarre and creepy level. 

Alfie and his twin daughters are trying to navigate life following the death of the girls' mother. When the kids start coming into his room at night to report there is a man in their room and they start talking about their imaginary friend, Alfie thinks they are just trying to cope with grief and loss. But soon, this imaginary friend takes a dark turn. 

As I started reading this story, I really thought it was going to be the run of the mill evil imaginary friend tale. Kids make invisible friend, parent is mildly amused, situation turns dark, imaginary friend is exorcised, evil entity comes back, parent strikes back, entity is banished, family lives happily ever after. But nope....every time I thought I had this story figured out, it took a dark turn in a totally different direction. Creepily bizarre, this book was a perfect addition to my Spooky Season reading this year! 

This turned into a binge read for me. I couldn't stop reading....I had to know how it ended! 

Bit of a slow burn. But the story delivers. Loved it!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Poisoned Pen Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment