Sunday, November 19, 2023

REVIEW: Sailing the Graveyard Sea

 Sailing the Graveyard Sea
Author: Richard Snow


Before reading this book, I had never heard the story of the attempted mutiny aboard the US Warship Somers in 1842 or Commander Alexander Slidell Mackenzie. Mackenzie reported when the ship reached port in Brooklyn, that 3 crew members had been hanged after the mutiny was prevented. But, later, it came out that the execution of the 3 crewmen may have been unlawful and that perhaps there had been no mutiny at all. 

This book outlines the history of the ship, the men involved, and the very public court martial that followed. 

Wow! What a tale! I'm not sure how I never heard of this incident! I enjoyed reading this account. The author presents the story of a training mission gone wrong using transcripts from the court martial. It makes for a very interesting read! Snow writes the facts in a very interesting way and the story kept my attention from start to finish. What a strange and very public case that definitely split opinions in its time. Some felt Mackenzie was a hero, and others thought he was a complete villain in the incident. 

Definitely a story I did not know at all before I read this book. I'm glad I learned the history of this naval incident and the good it eventually brought about that strengthened the U.S. Navy. 

I will definitely be reading other books by this author!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Scribner. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment