Sunday, April 25, 2021

REVIEW: Blood and Treasure

 Blood and Treasure: Daniel Boone and the Fight for America's First Frontier
Author: Bob Drury & Tom Clavin


I have read several of Tom Clavin's books and have enjoyed them all! I always learn something new about America's early history. One thing I appreciate about his books is that he keeps the story interesting. It isn't just dry historical nonfiction....he keeps it interesting and entertaining. These books don't read like a textbook, but rather an unfolding of history by someone who obviously loves it. 

Drury and Clavin build a history of the early push beyond the Appalachian mountains using obviously in-depth research and contemporary sources including diaries, newspaper articles and firsthand stories. That makes this book about the real Daniel Boone and not a re-telling of the myth behind the man. This book is about the man....not the larger than life hero from old fiction novels and television shows. And it doesn't pull punches. The foray into the unsettled west was bloody, violent and grim at times. Native American tribes were brutalized, and attacked those venturing into their lands to save their way of life. Men, women and children died. Many, many of them. 

Loved this book! As usual I'm going to buy a hardback copy for my husband and the audio book for myself. For me these books always warrant a revisit. And my husband loves history as much as I do. 

I'm definitely eagerly awaiting the next book from both of these authors! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martins Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**


No comments:

Post a Comment