Monday, April 26, 2021

REVIEW: The Next Everest

 The Next Everest
Author: Jim Davidson


In 2015, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake hit Nepal. It destroyed villages, killing nearly 9000 people. And it trapped climbers on Mount Everest. The author of this book, Jim Davidson, was on the mountain that day. He spent two days trapped at nearly 20,000 feet not knowing if he and his fellow climbers would live or die. In the end, he and his climbing team were rescued. After the ordeal, he wasn't sure if he could ever return to the mountain. But in 2017 he did....and summitted. 

I'm obsessed with Mount Everest. I have to admit it...and the fact that I'm not exactly sure why. I will never climb it...and aspire to one day at least get to see it....but that might not ever happen. There's just something spectacularly beautiful about the mountain. Nature at its most beautifully brutal. The highest point on earth....a point where just taking a step and breathing is all a human being can physically do. Climbers pay a lot of money to travel to the mountain and attempt to summit. I don't care for the tourism side of things. They leave so much waste on the mountain and disrespect a place that for the Sherpa people is a sacred mountain. And too many of the wealthy climbers also disrespect the Sherpa that work so hard to make the mountain accessible. For me, the draw is the mountain itself. I can understand why it is a holy place for the Sherpa. The power and beauty of nature itself rising up to more than 29,000 feet. It just amazes me. 

I watch every documentary I find on Mount Everest....and read every book I come across. I was familiar with the 2015 earthquake and its aftermath. I've watched multiple documentaries about the avalanche on Mount Everest that day and the destruction of villages in the region. When I saw this book by Jim Davidson was coming out, I had to read it. And I'm glad I did! Davidson's story of danger, survival and perseverance is mesmerizing! 

This book was a total binge read for me. I couldn't put it down. When the book came out, I immediately bought the audio book. This isn't just a story about a disaster in Nepal, but a story about a man's survival and subsequent fight to succeed at a life goal -- summiting the highest peak in the world. 

Awesome book! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from St. Martin's Press. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**



No comments:

Post a Comment