Thursday, April 1, 2021

REVIEW: The Last Seance

 The Last Séance
Author: Agatha Christie


A medium who is retiring decides do do one last séance with disastrous results. This story was first published in Ghost Stories Magazine in 1924 under the title The Woman Who Stole a Ghost. It also appeared in The Sovereign Magazine in 1927 as The Stolen Ghost. After appearing in Hound of Death story collection (UK) in 1933, it was later included in Double Sin and Other Stories in the US (1961). It was adapted by BBC Radio4 in 2010 (full cast, modernized).

Agatha Christie has been my favorite author since I read my first Hercule Poirot novel when I was 9 years old. But, I never read any of her short stories before now. I'm so glad I decided to read everything Christie wrote! These early short stories are light, but I'm loving the differences between these stories and Christie's novels or murder mystery short stories. Several of these stories, including this one, are supernatrural in nature and just completely entertaining! Spiritualism, mediums, table rapping and the like  were a big thing in the 1920s when these tales were written. I love the fact that Christie cashed in on the fads of the time!

I listened to an audio version of this story read by Christopher Lee (Double Sin and Other Stories, Harper Audio). Lee reads the story perfectly -- his voice just caters to the supernatural/creepy sort of tale. 

Loved this story! On to the next!



No comments:

Post a Comment