Saturday, April 3, 2021

REVIEW: Ever Winter

 Ever Winter
Author: Peter Hackshaw


The Earth is covered in a thick blanket of ice. The modern world ended nearly 100 years ago. Some humans manage to stay alive in the constant cold. The world is a brutal place. The killing cold. The killing wildlife. The murderous survivors. Henry and his family manage to survive, scavenging what they can to keep living. Then they find a dead man in the snow....and things change for them forever. 

This is a brutal, but totally mesmerizing post-apocalyptic tale of revenge. Hackshaw pulls no punches. This is not a story for the squeamish. From cannibalism to animal attacks, this story is gritty and gory at times, but realistic. Modern sensibilities don't fit a planet that has been encased in ice for 100 years. The humans who are left survive the only way they can....as do the polar bears and other animals that have managed to live through the permanent hard freeze of the planet. 

I found this book hard to listen to a few times....graphic scenes. But, I kept going because I wanted to know the whole story! Glad I did....on the whole, the story is quite good! 

I listened to the audio book version of this story. I'm finding I enjoy suspense/thriller type stories much better in audio. Narrated by Dan Stevens, the audio is just under 10 hours long. Stevens is a superb narrator. He brought the characters and the story to life! 

Very enjoyable listen! 

**I voluntarily listened to a review copy of this audio book from Podium Audio. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment