Saturday, September 11, 2021

REVIEW: The Lake Has Eyes

 The Lake Has Eyes
Author: Marc Layton


I kick off my Halloween reading season each year in September so I can get in as many macabre, horrifying, scary reads as possible before my favorite holiday. :) After reading the blurb for this story and seeing the creepy cover art, I knew I needed to read it! 

The basics: Rachel is a teenager recovering from a lengthy, serious illness. Her parents decide to buy a summer home on a lake and fix it up, so they pack up Rachel and her little brother Ben and head to the house. Bridge Manor is run-down and more than a little creepy. When Rachel starts seeing and hearing things in the house, her parents don't believe her. So Rachel begins to investigate the story behind the creepy house on her own. Can she get her parents to listen before it's too late?

Very creepy tale! It definitely kept my interest from start to finish. Although there were some plot points I wish had been elaborated on a bit more, I thoroughly enjoyed this story. This house is definitely not a place I would like to spend a summer vacation! Nope, double nope....even triple nope! 

The Lake Has Eyes is a short, easy read - 8 chapters. But there is a lot of story crammed into those 8 chapters! I like the fact it was a short read -- I started reading at the nail salon while I got a mani-pedi, and was finished before it was time for the technician to start on my nails. Perfect! I did not see the end coming. A gruesome surprise! Nicely done! 

All in all a very entertaining, spooky read! I'm definitely reading more by this author! 

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this novella by Marc Layton. All opinions expressed are entirely my own**

No comments:

Post a Comment