Saturday, April 21, 2018

REVIEW: Looking Glass

Looking Glass
Author: Andrew Mayne

Professor Theo Cray has a reputation as a rogue scientist willing to do anything to catch a killer. Having just used every scientific and investigative tool at his disposal to catch a serial killer in Montana, Cray is approached by a father whose son disappeared 9 years before. The police assumed the boy was involved in gang activity because the area of South California he disappeared in is known for violence. His father knows better. Cray agrees to look into it, and finds that a killer called the "Toy Man'' has been stalking, enticing and murdering young, black boys for years. Once again acting outside of law enforcement, Cray is on the trail of a dangerous serial killer and making use of every revolutionary scientific approach he knows to pinpoint a suspect, getting himself into hot water again in the process.

Looking Glass is the second book in the Naturalist series, but the first book by Andrew Mayne that I have read. Readers can jump in and start the series with book two like I did, but be forewarned that lots of information about the first story is revealed during the second book. I don't mind....I'm still going to backtrack and read the first book, even though I know who the killer is already and some of the events leading up to his capture. Cray is an interesting character. He is highly intelligent and very knowledgeable about scientific investigation, procedure and testing. He thinks in a purely logical manner, which makes emotion and social situations a bit tough for him. He tends to come off as a jerk, but it's really just directness and true knowledge, not know-it-all jerkishness. He annoys law enforcement because he bypasses their investigations when they refuse to listen to him. He solves cases they can't solve themselves and doesn't care whose toes he steps on.  When I first started Looking Glass, I had a hard time liking this character. He really did come off as a bit of a self-absorbed academic. But, then I got pulled into the story and came to understand that Theo Cray merely looks at all things in a purely logical and scientific manner. He has a goal and uses everything in his disposal to reach that goal -- this time, it's catching a serial killer preying on children. It wasn't long before I was totally on Cray's side, forgiving him for his personality.

This story is well-written and just amazing. The suspense is fantastic and the investigation is incredibly interesting. Cray has access to new scientific tests and tools that help him ferret out clues. Whether or not these things are actually available I have no clue....but the science seemed credible enough to me. I'm no expert....so I just went with the flow and enjoyed the story. Loved it! By the end, I was completely immersed in the story. The ending is fantastic! (No spoilers from me! Read the book!)

A third book in this series, Murder Theory, will be coming out in February, 2019. I can't wait!! I will be backtracking to read the first book, The Naturalist. Andrew Mayne has written several other books including the Station Breaker series and the Jessica Blackwood novels. I will be reading his other books while I wait for the new Theo Cray novel.

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this novel from Thomas & Mercer via NetGalley. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.**

No comments:

Post a Comment