Monday, April 16, 2018

REVIEW: Raspberry Mojito Murder

Raspberry Mojito Murder
Author: Susan Gillard

Raspberry Mojito Murder is the 20th book in the Donut Hole cozy mystery series. I like this series because the books are short, easy reads. There are times when I want to read, but want something short, light and entertaining. Sometimes I just need something cute and simple as a palate cleanser in between mystery/thriller novels or quick reads for car trips, vacation, etc. That's when I turn to this series. The books are novella length. The doughnut shop background theme is cute and the characters are likable. It's a cozy mystery series so there is no cursing, graphic sex or gore. Just a nice, entertaining light mystery series.

This time around Doughnut Delights proprietor Heather Shepherd is trying not to get stressed. Her shop is being renovated and expanded. It's a week from re-opening day! She wants to spend the week relaxing and taking a vacation from her usually busy schedule. Life has other ideas though. An office building near the doughnut shop burns down. Not only is it a case of arson, but murder. Paul Jackson died in the fire. As a consulting detective for the police department, Heather is on the case with her husband, a local police detective. Can she discover the identity of the murderous arsonist in time to catch a break before her newly remodeled shop re-opens for business?

I enjoyed this book. As usual the plot is light and moves at a fast pace. There are some interesting developments for Heather and Ryan Shepherd in this book. I knew eventually this particular event would happen...but wasn't sure how or when.

There are 60 novella length books in the Donut Hole series. Plus a spin-off Oceanside Mysteries series that has 20+ books. Don't fret about there being so many books if you are new to the series. The stories are easy, short reads. And readers can jump in at any point in the series and still enjoy the mysteries. I am a bit OCD about reading series from book 1 in order, so I'm trying to catch up. :) I try to read a couple of these mysteries each week to work my way to the Oceanside series. Gillard puts out new books regularly and often....so I have a lot of reading to do! I will catch up! It's an enjoyable race at least. :) Maybe she will go on vacation this summer and I can slip in a bit of extra reading and get a bit closer to catching up! :)

I love the cover for this book -- colorful! And the green with pink sprinkles doughnut looks tasty! I admit I had to look up what a raspberry mojito is. I knew it was a drink, but wasn't sure what was in it. It's raspberry and mint flavored....just like the doughnuts in the book. I found a recipe:

Raspberry Mojito Recipe

Sounds yummy!

On to the next book!

No comments:

Post a Comment