Saturday, April 28, 2018

REVIEW: These Broken Stars

These Broken Stars
Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner

Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen are both passengers on the Icarus, a ship whisking through the universe through hyperspace. But they are from totally different worlds. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the world. Tarver is a soldier, a war hero recognized for his bravery. They are drawn to each other at first sight, but Lilac knows her father would never approve and Tarver knows she is out of his league entirely. But an emergency will bring these two together in a way neither one ever expected. And their lives will never be the same.

These Broken Stars is the first book in the Starbound series. At first, I had a hard time liking Lilac. She came off as a spoiled brat, but over time I came to understand the character better. Both main characters changed and matured over the course of the story, learning to support each other and pull together to survive, while also learning about love and respect.

This isn't normally the type of book I read. YA books with a romance angle usually come off as immature for me. But that's because they aren't written for 50 year old grandmas. :) But, I love science fiction, so I gave this book a try. And, I really enjoyed it. The relationship between the two main characters didn't come off as teenager-y or immature. I found myself really hoping that they would have a chance at a happy ending....that they would make it through the danger. Very enjoyable book! I'm definitely going to read the rest of this series! I love it when I read something that I wouldn't normally read, and end up totally immersed in an awesome story!

Amie Kaufman and Meaghan Spooner have both authored multiple YA books. I love the Illuminae series that Kaufman co-authored with Jay Kristoff. That's what led me to try this series she co-authored with Meaghan Spooner. I haven't read anything by Spooner yet, but definitely will after enjoying this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment