Wednesday, April 25, 2018

REVIEW: What's a Ghost Going to Do?

What's a Ghost Going to Do?
Author: Jane Thayer

My absolutely favorite book as a child was Gus, The Friendly Ghost by Jane Thayer.  My mom ordered it for me from The Weekly Reader Book Club. Every month or so they sent me books. I loved it when the package showed up! I can remember only three of the titles* I got way back then....and two are permanent residents of my Keeper Shelf.

Imagine my total surprise (and very happy reaction!) when I discovered just last week that Gus had a series! His adventures didn't stop with Gus, The Friendly Ghost! There is a series with 7 more books! I was immediately on a mission to read each and every one of them! Gus was one of my best book buddies as a young girl...and I want to know the rest of his story! Two of the books I was able to put on hold at local libraries in the county where I live....when I got the phone call that the books were available, the librarians both sounded surprised I had put a children's book on hold. They are used to me checking out mysteries and thrillers, not kid's books. :) I picked the Gus books up this week, along with a Jo Nesbo and C.J. Box books I had waiting for me at the library.....strange mix. :)

What's a Ghost Going to Do? is just a lovely book!!! The artwork is by Seymour Fleishman just like the first book in the series. It made me smile clear down to my soul. :)

Story basics: Gus lives in an old summer home owned by the Scott family. The family is there in the summer. When falls comes around, they leave. And then Gus' friend Mouse comes to stay with him. Unfortunately, the Scotts decide to sell the old house and build a new one somewhere else. What's a friendly ghost to do when he might lose his home? 

I won't say how it turns out! Read the book! :) 


The illustrations really make the story great! :) 

Jane Thayer is a pen name for author Catherine Woolley. She wrote many children's books under this name, including The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy. I am SO happy to discover that Gus the Ghost is an 8 book series! I will have to collect the other books to go with my copy of Gus, The Friendly Ghost on my keeper shelf. :) I will definitely be reading this entire series....and hunting down used copies for my shelf. I love Gus!! And have since I was 3 years old! 

*The other two books I remember receiving from the Weekly Reader club are: The Laughing Dragon by Kenneth Mahood (which also has a place on my permanent keeper shelf) and The Gollywhopper Egg by Anne Rockwell. The other titles I received were enjoyed.....but not remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment