Tuesday, May 29, 2018

REVIEW: Gus and the Baby Ghost

Gus and the Baby Ghost
Author: Jane Thayer

When I was about 5, I received a book in the mail -- Gus Was a Friendly Ghost by Jane Thayer. I loved that book so much! I made my sisters read it to me nearly every night. Even now, I have a copy of the book on my permanent keeper shelf. It's one of my favorite children's books. Imagine my surprise when just this year I learned it was just the first book in a series of 8! I've been slowly reading my way through the series to make the smiles last as long as possible. I still love Gus.  He was my bedtime buddy for a long time!

Gus and the Baby Ghost is the 4th book in the series. Gus lives in a historical museum with the cantankerous curator, Mr. Frizzle. Mr Frizzle wants the museum to be orderly, quiet and perfect for visitors. He runs the museum during the day, and Gus watches over it at night. Imagine Gus' surprise when one night a baby ghost is left, wrapped in a ghostly blanket, at the front door of the museum. How is Gus going to keep things orderly, quiet and perfect for visitors with a ghost baby in the museum??

This story is just as cute as the others I have read. And the illustrations by Seymour Fleishman are delightful, as usual. The story is cute and teaches a great lesson about compromise and kindness.

While I am sorry that I didn't know about these books when I was a little girl (it might have made my sisters less cranky about reading that one Gus book over and over and over again), I am enjoying reading about Gus' further exploits now. :) This is a delightful series and entertaining to read! I'm on  a quest to find copies of all the books so I can have them on the shelf to read when my grandkids come to visit. :) Then they can enjoy Gus, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment