Thursday, May 24, 2018

REVIEW: Sarah, Plain and Tall

Sarah, Plain and Tall
Author: Patricia MacLachlan

I  have loved this sweet story since I saw the Hallmark movie starring Glenn Close and Christopher Walken back in the early 90's. At that time, I didn't know the film is based on a book. I now have a rule that before I can watch a film adaptation, I have to read the book first. I'm a few decades late on this one....but decided to make it right and enjoy this book.

OMG.....this book is just so sweet and beautiful. I don't often read sentimental stories like this, but I'm glad I took the time to enjoy this one.

Sarah Wheaton lives in Maine. Her brother is getting married soon so she answers an advertisement placed by a man named Jacob in Kansas who is looking for a wife and mother for his two children. Anna and Caleb lost their mother six years before. She died soon after giving birth to Caleb. The story relates the family's meeting Sarah and the month that she stays with them to see if a relationship with Jacob will work. Just a beautiful story!

There are actually 5 books in the Sarah, Plain and Tall series. I knew that there was a second book, Skylark, because I watched the movie version when it first came out. But I have never read the other books. I'm definitely going to read them now! Some stories just make you happy in your heart and soul, and this one does that for me. A entertaining, feel-good, just totally enjoyable book! I can't wait to read the rest of the series!

I listened to the audiobook version of this story. At just over an hour long, it's a quick listen. Perfect for enjoying with kids. Glenn Close narrates, which is perfect! Loved it!




No comments:

Post a Comment